Wednesday 18 February 2015

Familiarity And Novelty

Extraordinary. I was disappointed that the second NESFA collection of Poul Anderson's shorter works contained so many stories already familiar from previous collections and even from series that had been collected in full, including the first Gunnar Heim story about which I had already posted several times.

However, I reread "Marque and Reprisal" out of interest and found far more new things to say about it than I would have thought possible. Further, it has made me want to continue rereading and posting about that series so the next item on the agenda is The Star Fox, Part Two, "Arsenal Point," Chapter One. Each of the stories was divided into numbered sections which become full "Chapters" in book format. I originally thought that The Star Fox was a single narrative, not a trilogy.

Onward, spacefarers.

No comments: