Anderson respected Edward Mitchell's school of noetics because Edwards had been on the Moon. I do not think that that is a reason to respect a man's views on anything else. Nevertheless, I do approve of the aims of Mitchell's Institute of Noetic Sciences which at least overlap with those of the Society for Psychical Research.
IONS researches:
psychic abilities
channeling
mind-matter interaction
energy healing
intention
spontaneous remission
meditation
alternative healing
consciousness-based healthcare
spirituality
human potential
psychokinesis
survival of consciousness after physical death
yoga
ESP
lucid dreaming
telekinesis
precognition
Every alleged phenomenon should be investigated. The outcome should be either debunking or confirmation and understanding of a specifically identified phenomenon. Maybe telekinesis works but precognition doesn't or vice versa or both or neither. I don't know. That's what we need to find out, just as we try to learn about anything else: electromagnetism; gravity; the strong and weak nuclear forces; quantum mechanics etc. The fact that any particular line of enquiry is difficult makes it worthwhile.

2 comments:
Kaor, Paul!
Of course such things deserve to be studied. I'm simply skeptical that much which can be solidly verified will be discovered. But I have no objection to what IONS and the Rhine Institute are doing.
Ad astra! Sean
Sean,
We won't know until we try.
Paul.
Post a Comment