Saturday, 10 October 2026

Dunne, Rhine And Mitchell

Poul Anderson, "The Long Remembering" IN Anderson, Homeward And Beyond (New York, July 1976), pp. 22-36.

I wanted to comment on Poul Anderson's reference to JW Dunne but find that I have already done so at some length. See here. But there are two other references. The first is to Rhine.

The second, to quote the entire passage, is as follows:

"'I've done nothing more than systematize the work of predecessors, from as long ago as Dunne and Rhine if not further. I owe a tremendous debt to Mitchell and his colleagues; in fact, what I've done amounts largely to fusing their discoveries in noetics with some new concepts of physics and cosmology, and using modern laboratory equipment to check out the hypotheses that followed.'" (p. 25)

I took Mitchell to be a fictional future researcher like the speaker, Rennie, or like James Blish's Adolph Haertel and Thor Wald. However, in his introduction to another story collected later in Homeward And Beyond, Anderson writes:

"When an Edward Mitchell sees fit to found a school of noetics, I pay respectful attention. He's been on the Moon." (p. 166)

See IONS.

While trying to track down the references to Dunne, I have only just now, over breakfast, made this connection between the two references to Mitchell in this Anderson collection.

No comments: