Tuesday 13 October 2020

Testimony And Evidence

"The Man Who Came Early."

On the testimony of Eilif Eirikson, who served in the Varangian Guard, Ospak accepts that:

Greek fire burns on water;

the Emperor has "'...a beast of gold before his high seat which stands up and roars.'" (p. 185)

I suspect that Eilif, former Varangian or no former Varangian, has heard of this beast from someone else but not seen it for himself.

At school, I read a story about Galileo which, whether or not it is historically accurate, epitomizes scientific method. According to the story, Galileo did not accept accounts of tides in the Atlantic because:

there are no tides in the Mediterranean;

he did not accept sailors' stories of mermaids or sea serpents;

the suggestion that the tides were linked to the Moon was even more dubious because that would be astrology.

I concluded that, temporarily and provisionally of course, Galileo was right to come to what we know to have been a wrong conclusion. Shown a tide, he would immediately have accepted it but why should he accept anything in advance of convincing evidence? A guy I knew thought that it was contradictory to say that Galileo rightly accepted a wrong conclusion. However, this same guy:

thought that the "logical" was merely the familiar or expected, thus that a talking lion would be illogical;

seemed to get his understanding of logic from Spock, not from Aristotle;

when I had said that a single discontinuous timeline (with an uncaused event preventing the event that would have caused it) was counter-intuitive but not illogical, misquoted me as having said that it was illogical;

when I had said that Zen meditation did not give me one particular insight, misquoted me as having said that I got nothing from Zen;

when I suggested, as a fictional premise, that Wells wrote a true account of the Time Traveler's adventures, thought that that I did think that Wells had written a true account;

thought that scientists claimed infallibility and showed themselves up to be charlatans every time they revised their conclusions;

accepted science when it confirmed his preferred views but otherwise rubbished it;

dismissed the mathematical proof that there is no highest prime number as "gobbledygook" merely because he did not understand it (I did not understand it the first time I read it).

How much misunderstanding remains in a scientific age?

4 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I am not sure you are right abuut Eilif Erikson, however. My thought was that a Varangian Guardsman, belonging to a unit often in personal attendance on the Emperor (at this time, Alexius I) would have often seen that mechanical, clockwork gilded lion.

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,

So there was such a clockwork lion?

Paul.

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

OK. I have found accounts on the Internet.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Yes, and the accounts I read said clockworks were used to raise the throne in the Emperor's audience hall on special occasions, to awe people with the technology and splendor of the Empire.

Ad astra! Sean