Friday 20 September 2019

Russian Eggs And More About Films

here come the appetizers. Pay special attention to the characteristically Dutch delicacy, Russian eggs, but don't ask me how they came by that name."
-copied from 13, here.

An unprofound post, serving only to increase our Food Thread by a single entry.

Perhaps there are three kinds of screen adaptations of novels:

nominal (only the name is the same);

authentic (I have cited examples before, see Other Reading and TV Dramatizations);

intermediate.

In the Swedish dramatizations of Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy, every actor is perfect in his or her role, every character is authentic and the plots are recognizable from the books although many details differ unnecessarily, my point here of course being that I would want to see even better treatment accorded to Poul Anderson's works if they were to be filmed.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I agree with what you said about how filmed versions of Poul Anderson's stories should be handled. I would suggest to any hypothetically interested producers and directors that they should start with some of Anderson's short stories featuring Old Nick and Dominic Flandry, not the novels. I think short stories would be more controllable for newbies to Anderson's works, a good way for getting some experience at handling them.

Ad astra! Sean