Sunday 22 September 2019

Endgame

Murder In Black Letter by Poul Anderson.

Chapter 15 ends when Yamamura asks Kintyre, "'Who is our man?'" Chapter 16 begins when Kintyre tells him. Yamamura, surprised, almost drops his pipe. Kintyre explains his reasoning. This is definitely a "Robert Kintyre, Amateur Detective" novel, not a "Trygve Yamamura, Private Detective" novel.

There are twenty chapters. Is the rest of the narrative just the tracking down of the now identified master villain? I remember that there is a culminating chase sequence represented by the cover illustration.

I will continue to reread because I always find other interesting details in Anderson's texts.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

And one reason I find Anderson's three mystery novels worthy of interest is because of how he wrote and set them in what was then contemporary times. So they give us snapshots of what the late Fifies, early Sixties looked like to him. Esp. before things started going so crazy!

And I read the later (1980) novel THE DEVIL'S GAME with keen interest for similar reasons. My view is that by then Anderson had become much better at writing longer stories set in "contemporary" times. And I would include the 20th parts of THE BOAT OF A MILLION YEARS in this view of mine.

Ad astra! Sean