Thursday 15 February 2024

Planetary Parameters

Brian Aldiss wrote somewhere that an sf writer works hard for his living. A contemporary novelist writes about the interactions between a cast of characters. An sf novelist - at least sometimes - devises the parameters of an extra-solar planetary system, then places a cast of characters in that environment.

Poul Anderson outlines this in his AFTERWORD to The Man Who Counts:

the mass, age and chemistry of a star
its consequent luminosity
the length of the year of a planet in a given orbit
the quantity of radiation received by that planet
surface features
the kind of life on the planet
the evolution of that life
these parameters affecting others
the odour of a flower
what it is like to be an inhabitant of that planet

This is what CS Lewis called the Engineer's Story. Not everyone who can write fiction knows enough science which is why there is some "soft" sf by Lewis, Bradbury and Simak. (Bradbury's Mars, cold by night but hot (!) by day, is an abomination.)

13 comments:

S.M. Stirling said...

Although it would be better if more 'mainstream' novelists did more research.

How many novels, or 'novels', are quasi-autobiographical? How many are limited to the social circles, regions and classes familiar to the writer?

Narcissistic and -boring-.

I don't write novels about aging BoBos in the American Southwest for exactly that reason. I'm not in this business to be bored out of my skull.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Mr. Stirling!

Exactly! You've described why so much of "mainstream" literature is so boring. Well done mysteries and spy novels set in our contemporary times might well be worth reading.

Ad astra! Sean

Sean M. Brooks said...

Greetings to All Interested!

Dr. Shackley's daughter emailed me to inform me why he "disappeared." Unfortunately, his computer is again giving him problems and he does not expect to get it back from the shop before Saturday, Feb. 24.

Ad astra! Sean

Jim Baerg said...

Thank you Sean.
I was about to post a question here about whether Paul's health is OK.
It's about time I replaces my laptop. It's been a bit flakey for a while.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Jim!

I prefer my tabletop computer. Tabletops seem to be sturdier and last longer. Yes, I know, you can take laptops pretty much anywhere!

Ad astra! Sean

S.M. Stirling said...

Sean: that's a relief! I was also afraid Paul might be ill. Glad it's just his -computer- that's in the hospital!

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Mr. Stirling!

Absolutely! Seems to me laptops have their disadvantages.

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Thank you, all. My lap top is back sooner than expected but I might take sometime to get organised. We are trying to move house here.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Good! And moving from one place to another will be very disruptive!

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,

We will remain in Lancaster, fortunately.

Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Good, it's your home town, after all!

Ad astra! Sean

S.M. Stirling said...

My family always moved frequently when I was a child -- first because my father was in the RCAF, and then because he switched toforeign aid after he retired.

My mother once told me that "three house moves are equivalent to one house fire".

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Nr. Stirling!

I can see why your mother thought like. Not fun, moving so often when someone has children.

Ad astra! Sean