Sunday 14 January 2024

Adults In Space

Decades ago, I enjoyed sf comic strips about characters called Dan Dare and Jet Ace Logan. ("Have to say it, sir: whole of Space Fleet thinks Dare's gone too far this time!" Bus driver: "I'm bettin' on Danny boy!") I saw that there were prose paperbacks with spacemen and robots on the covers - even one called I, Robot - and wondered what they would be like: presumably adult subject-matter although with the familiar space-based settings. Sure enough, before long I was reading:

"She said: 'Bob, I mean to have a child here.'"
-James Blish, They Shall Have Stars IN Blish, Cities In Flight (London, 1981), pp. 7-129 AT CHAPTER EIGHT, p. 90.

I knew that the bearing of children was an adult matter and also that this child was to be born in a base on Jupiter V. Dare or Logan would have fitted right in there but would not have been conversing with a woman who proposed to have a child.

Similarly, in a spaceship en route to the Saturnian system:

"'...you'd rather be with that Broberg woman. I only came by to tell you in person I'm getting out of the way of you two.'"
-"The Saturn Game," II, p. 14.

The best of both worlds: adult relationships and space exploration.

They Shall Have Stars is Volume I of Blish's Cities In Flight future history series. "The Saturn Game" is the opening instalment of Anderson's Technic Civilization future history series. Our civilization has not caught up with either of them yet.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I fear I did not have such sophisticated tastes where it came to comic books when I was a boy. My tastes leaned more to Donald Duck and his uncle Scrooge McDuck! (Laughs)

I must have been aged 13 or 14 when I first started reading any kind of science fiction: stuff like TIME AND MR BASS (I'll have to look up the author's name). And then I read my first book by Anderson, the Chilton Books edition of AGENT OF THE TERRAN EMPIRE--and I was hooked!

I'm currently rereading Stirling's BLACK CHAMBER, the first of that series.

Ad astra! Sean