Sunday 16 April 2017

Current Reading Agenda

Current Reading Agenda
(i) To finish reading A Meeting At Corvallis by SM Stirling.
(ii) To reread "Memory" (originally "A World Called Maanerek") by Poul Anderson.

(i) I want to know what happens to several of the characters.

(ii) The theme of "Memory" might serve as an allegory for Zen meditation, discussed here. Although I discussed "Memory" here, I then asked only whether it was part of Anderson's Technic History. It is not. I did not discuss the contents of the story.

A man realizes that he is not who he thought he was. His real identity transcends his social conditioning. That sounds like meditation. But I must reread the story to recall the details. If anyone wants to get ahead of me, then comment here, that is ok.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Better put, the man we see in "Memory" underwent TWO "social conditionings." He had to decide which was BETTER/

Sean