Wednesday 5 March 2014

The Quotable Time Patrol II

Poul Anderson, Time Patrol (New York, 2006).

The first "Quotable" post addressed the issue of academic and experiential learning. Don't say "academic versus experiential" - both are necessary: theory guides practice; practice tests theory. Almost anyone's life and work experiences are relevant. I happened to quote teacher training. I might add that a student teacher on teaching practice is temporarily in touch with almost everyone else - College tutors, school teachers, school pupils, fellow students, the Head or a Deputy Head of a school, the Heads of maybe two Departments within a school. There are unrivaled opportunities for comparing alternative perspectives while training.

Here is another relevant quotation from Everard in conversation with the narrator of this passage, Carl Farness:

"'You're giving me the standard arguments, Carl...What I'm trying to make you know, not in your fore-brain but in your marrow, is that reality never conforms very well to the textbooks, and sometimes it doesn't conform at all.'
"'I believe I am beginning to see that.' My humility was genuine.'" (p. 387)

And Everad has much to learn:

"'...I've learned to be wary of archetypes. They have more power than any science in history has measured. That's why I've been quizzing you like this, about stuff that should be obvious to me. It isn't, down underneath.'" (p. 391)

Archetypes have power over us - and we are the ones who formulate scientific knowledge which is necessarily measurable, mathematical, abstract, repeatable, not unique or individual.

No comments: