Friday 2 June 2017

Under The Moons Of Mars

I searched the blog for references to Edgar Rice Burrough's (ERB's) Beyond The Farthest Star with interesting results here. (Scroll down.) See also references to John Carter here and to ERBian Martians here. A search for Tarzan yielded results here. (Scroll down.) See in particular "At The Arizona Cave" here. Now I must track down the Barsoom anthology mentioned in the combox here.

At least some of Poul Anderson's diverse series coexist in a multiverse whereas ERB's coexist in a single universe:

the first Venus volume alludes to the Martian series and explicitly mentions the events of Tarzan At The Earth's Core which is both a Tarzan book and an Earth's Core book;

during those events, Jason Gridley communicates with Mars as he had already done with Pellucidar at the Earth's Core;

Beyond The Farthest Star and the Moon Trilogy are sequels to the Martian series;

all these works and The Land That Time Forgot are linked by common reference to the fictional ERB;

a character en route to visit Tarzan time travels in The Eternal Savage.

And we ought to see a green Martian in Anderson's inter-universal inn, the Old Phoenix. See here.

5 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I had not realized the Burroughs' series you discussed here were all interconnected or shared the same universe. Probably because it was ERB's Barsoon books I like best (altho I do have his two THE LAND THAT TIME FORGOT books).

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Three.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Oops! You're right! I checked and I have all three of these stories in one volume.

Didn't Burroughs write a story featuring an Ethiopian Empire which fought a European empire? I read it so long ago that I can't recall the author's name.

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
That one I don't know but it is certainly possible. I have mostly read only ERB's series.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

It's one of those maddening little niggling things in the back of one's mind that we remember from time to time. Vexatious!

Sean