Thursday 9 March 2017

Dominique Flandry

How many novels by SM Stirling have I read? At last I have found Lieutenant Dominique Flandry on p. 208 of The Protector's War (New York, 2006), Chapter Eight. This Flandry is in the Tasmanian Sea Navy, not the Terran Space Navy.

"'...New Zealand's a sort of federation centered on Christchurch...'" (p. 205)

Is this a bit like Poul Anderson's Maurai Federation? In any case, Stirling's post-Change Earth has a Steve Matuchek, a Sir Nigel Loring and his companions and a Dominique Flandry so who else is going to show up? There is only one way to find out.

Addendum: Also the island of Oland on p. 209.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Ha! I was wondering when you would see Lieutenant Dominique Flandry! Yet another of Stirling's Andersonian allusions. And a very pleasing one.

But I'm still sorry I missed Steve Matuchek! (Smiles)

Sean