Thursday 16 March 2017

Reading More Closely

(Another cover illustration showing the crashed spaceship. What language is it?)

The closer we look into Poul Anderson's texts, the more there is to be found in them. Last night, I wanted to publish one more post before turning in. Also, I wanted to stay with World Without Stars, not yet having reread it in its entirety. Certain that I had not exhausted the novel's potential, I reread Chapter IX. Immediately, I noticed four references to rain, which:

hid the galaxy;
loudened;
gurgled;
stopped.

Each reference to rain underlined a dramatic turning point. Although I have highlighted Anderson's use of pathetic fallacy several times here, I had not noticed this instance of it on any previous rereading of World Without Stars. What else remains unnoticed? Another point of interest also mentioned before is Anderson's rich vocabulary. Looking again at Chapter IX, I notice as if for the first time the word, "lyophilized." (p. 62)

3 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I think the language used for translating this edition of WORLD WITHOUT STARS is Italian. It looks Italian, anyhow.

Darn! Too many times I admit to overlooking how Poul Anderson used certain words for marking the turning points in a story. And, yes, he does have a very rich vocabulary. I don't think I've EVER noticed "lyophilized" before. A word I will be looking up.

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
I have linked the word to a Wiki article.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Thanks! I looked up the workd. Lyophilization is a kind of freeze drying often used for foods, pharmaceuticals, and other products.

Sean