Thursday 5 October 2017

Argent And Ardent

Poul Anderson, Genesis (New York, 2001), Part Two, XI.

Kalava sees "...argent nets and ardent globes..." (p. 237)

The nets are silver or silvery white. The globes must be burning or glowing rather than enthusiastic or passionate. Kalava moves among shapes and energies that he cannot understand and delivers his message. Poul Anderson has imagined a conflict between post-organic intelligences that should be united in their only enterprise, the search for knowledge.

A further rereading of Genesis has yielded much new information but has now come to an end. Tomorrow evening, I will probably return to Anderson's earlier Psychotechnic History. Future histories are an endless source of aesthetic appreciation and of awesome speculation.

8 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Even among AIs, if we assume them to be possible, I am not surprised to find conflicts among them. I can imagine AIs with DIFFERING goals or aspirations. That alone will make conflicts possible.

And one future history I would like to bring to your attention is Cordwainer Smith's "Instrumentality of Mankind" stories. I'm a bit surprised you have not apparently read any of Paul Myron Anthony Linebarger (Smith's real names) stories. I would like to hope you would find them interesting.

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
I have read some of the Instrumentality but in the past and did not become a fan. I think I have mentioned it maybe once on the blog.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Darn! Well, I greatly enjoyed reading the Instrumentality of Mankind stories. And I even gave my late father a book called THE BEST OF CORDWAINER SMITH, collecting the most important Instrumentality stories. I think my father liked them too.

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
See the post, "Future Histories Overview," Tues 23 Feb 2016.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I will, thanks!

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
See also "Religion in Future Histories," Fri 27 April 2012, on the Science Fiction blog.
Paul.

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
On the James Blish Appreciation blog, the post, "CS Lewis and James Blish," Sun 22 April 2012, has a section on "Ten American Future Historians And Four Related Authors," which refers briefly to Cordwainer Smith.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I will, after I first get some sleep! (Smiles)

Sean