Wednesday 25 November 2015

The Day After Tomorrow

Futuristic sf includes "day after tomorrow" scenarios where everything is as it is now but then one thing changes. CS Lewis' That Hideous Strength, published 1945 but set "after the War," is in this category as is Poul Anderson's Brain Wave. HG Wells' Time Traveler tells his dinner guests that that morning he had set off on his Time Machine and passed through "tomorrow." Despite spending several days in the future, he has returned to the day of his departure so that he still has the same "tomorrow."

I mention all this here because today and tomorrow I will be visiting a friend in Birmingham (see image) and will be away from my lap top. Thank you all for over 320 page views so far today with the best part of an hour still to go. I managed to post a lot about Anderson's The People Of The Wind yesterday. A return to that fictitious world, and in such detail, was completely unplanned and unpredicted. Anderson's texts are inexhaustible. All that is exhausted, temporarily, is my ability to focus on new aspects of a particular text.

I do not know what will come next but something will.

Addendum: 330 page views by the end of the day.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I actually visited Birmingham for a few days during my second stay in the UK in 1996. And one of the places I visited was the Catholic St. Chad's Cathedral. The plain, red brick Gothic design of that building was homelike, reminding me of similar churches in my home town.

And people have dropped by 330 times? Great! I hope more of them will leave their own thoughts and opinions in the comboxes. That would help stimulate and inspire further discussions of the works of PA and relevant authors such as S.M. Stirling.

Sean