Monday 1 June 2015

The Trygve Yamamura Series

Anthony Boucher persuaded sf authors to write mysteries. Poul Anderson writes:

"The result for me was three novels and several short stories. The hero of most was Trygve Yamamura..."
-Poul Anderson, Going For Infinity (New York, 2002), p. 296.

I had thought that Anderson wrote the three Yamamura novels and co-wrote with Karen Anderson just one Yamamura short story. However, Anderson's phrase "The hero of most..." seems to imply that Yamamura was the hero of more than one of the short stories? See the comment on this recent post.

So is the Trygve Yamamura series longer than some of us thought? Someone out there must know. Googling discloses this list which however confirms my earlier idea of the extent of the series.

3 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

In the third section of my "Uncollected Works of Poul Anderson article I listed four stories first pub. by THE SAINT DETECTIVE MAGAZINE. These were "The Corpse in a Suit of Armor (November 1956), "Pythagorean Romaji" (December 1959, "Stab in the Back" (March 1960), "The Gentle Way" (August 1960). I suspect at least some of these short stories featured Trygve Yamamura.

If we ever see a COMPLETE COLLECTED WORKS OF POUL ANDERSON I suggest putting the first two Yamamura mysteries into one volume while the third novel plus the short stories would fill a second volume.

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

Sean,
I would put them all in one volume. Think big.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Hmmm, maybe! It would depend on how many and how long the Trygve Yamamura short stories are.

I wonder if I will ever read the short stories I listed above? Or most of the uncollected articles and stories I listed in my "Uncollected Works" essay.

And I still wonder if the texts of any of the stories Anderson mentioned as having been rejected still exist.

Sean