Monday 4 May 2015

Invitation

Ninety seven page views since 1.00 AM this morning. Everyone is invited to leave a comment saying who they are, where they are, why they are interested in Poul Anderson and anything else that they want to say. Because of the range of Anderson's works, this blog has had discussions and disagreements about politics, economic, history, religion and other authors. Science is also relevant but I am a Philosophy graduate. From Anderson's texts, I summarize information about physics or chemistry, often without understanding it.

Today is a British Bank Holiday Monday with good weather and, after breakfast, some of us here will drive to a festival in a nearby village. Next week, I will be out of the country and away from a computer for most of the week. I have yet to finish rereading Anderson's The Boat Of A Million Years before returning to his Starfarers, then reading for the first time more novels by his worthy successor, SM Stirling. The blog will continue.

4 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I too wish others would leave comments here. I am glad we have gotten comments from Nicholas Rosen and David Birr, and even a few from S.M. Stirling!

I have never understood exactly what is a "Bank Holiday" in the UK. It seems to be unique to the UK. Do banks shut down for a day at occasional times for technical reasons?

Leaving the country for about a week? I hope you have a good time!

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

Sean,
It used to be that the banks closed, therefore everything else stopped as well. Now, a "Bank Holiday" still means a regular scheduled public holiday including a bank closure although many shops stay open as they now do at weekends. I googled but did not quickly find the reason why the banks originally started having these regular annual days off.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I was puzzled, I had seen mention of "Bank Holidays" in British books I've read. I've thought that long ago banks closed in the UK like this due to technical reasons. Reasons which are probably no longer relevant.

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

Sean,
Prob no longer relevant but Bank Holidays are accepted public holidays that any government would threaten at its peril.
Paul.