Wednesday 3 September 2014

Eternity II

I collected my copy of Greg Bear's Eternity, a direct sequel to his Eon. I said earlier that an internet review of Eternity did not make it sound like a sequel. That is because it was a review of Bear's City At The End Of Time! But these titles can be samey, especially to someone who hasn't read the books yet. In fact, I have just seen an artistically beautiful graphic adaptation of Harlan Ellison's Star Trek episode, The City On The Edge Of Forever, another resonant - and similar - title.

In Eternity, set four decades later, I will be interested to see whether the proposal to "purge" the minds of Earth-dwellers has been carried out. That would alter the characters' motivations and thus make this a novel not of humanity but of changed humanity. Karen Anderson is again credited for linguistic and historical advice so the Anderson connection continues.

Since I am about to attend a funeral and will be otherwise engaged for part of this evening, there will be a short intermission until normal service is resumed.

2 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Paul!

I forgot to offer you my condolences for the recent death of your friend or kinsman. Memory eternal!

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

Sean,
Thank you. She was a work colleague from long ago so not a close personal contact.
Paul.