Friday 19 September 2014

Diplomacy

Although this cover illustration shows our hero and his Starkadian ally prepared for physical combat, Poul Anderson's characters are also masters of diplomatic language and conflict. To paraphrase -

Hauksberg: If Flandry is caught, treat him like a pirate.

Abrams: He is entitled to a court martial and has diplomatic immunity.

Hauksberg: He and you were accredited by me, not by the government.

Abrams (to Brechdan): Merseia accepted Terran rules of war and diplomacy because they work. You may deport us but any other action, whatever our accreditation, would be ground for breaking off relations or declaring war.

Brechdan: Diplomats have no right to spy.

Abrams: Nor has the government to which they are sent. Dwyr was planted on me as a spy but his sympathies were with Terra.

Brechdan: My compliments on turning him.

Abrams: His Majesty's government will deny that.

Hauksberg: How dare you speak for the Empire?

Abrams: How dare you? Will the Hand agree that my mere prediction is probably correct?

Brechdan: What do you expect of the Empire?

Abrams: If Merseia is reasonable, Terra will probably respond in kind.

Brechdan: "Reasonable" includes dropping charges against you?

Abrams: Yes. Dwyr and Flandry acted without my knowledge.

Brechdan: I would stand by a subordinate.

Abrams: What happens to him is outside our control. Without pomposity, I want to save myself for further service to the Empire.

Hauksberg (with venom): We'll see.

Brechdan: On Merseia, that is not pompous. "'I salute you. Lord Hauksberg will oblige me by considering you innocent.'" -Poul Anderson, Young Flandry (New York, 2010), p. 144.

No comments: