Sunday 2 March 2014

Time Patrol, Multiverse And AI

I have finished rereading Poul Anderson's Time Patrol series and, for the time being, am reluctant to descend from this high point back down to rounding up a few remaining non-series short stories. After Anderson's long, substantial, historical time travel series, anything else seems like an anti-climax - especially mere one-off short stories, even when written by Anderson himself.

I expect this blog, now nearly two years old, to gain new life with the publication (this year?) of Multiverse. When that happens, I will welcome views other than my own - but that is always the case.

Meanwhile, there is never a shortage of material to post about, even if not on this blog. Yesterday and today, I have added to both "Science Fiction" and "Comics Appreciation." The Time Patrol had interrupted my reading of Iain M Bank's third Culture novel, Use Of Weapons. Having returned to that novel, I found in it a dialogue between an artificial intelligence (AI) and a human being about AI so I have posted about that.

Once, on this blog, I listed Anderson's various approaches to AI. Notably:

in the Harvest of Stars Tetralogy, AI begins to make human beings redundant within the Solar System although humanity flourishes elsewhere;
in Genesis, mankind is extinct but Solar AI re-creates it.

Banks' "Culture" is an interstellar civilization fully integrating both humanity and AI.

No comments: