Sunday 28 May 2017

The Last Two Chapters

Just two chapters left to read in Murder In Black Letter but not tonight.

Observations
I do not enjoy the deductive processes.
Strangely, Kintyre does the deducing, not Yamamura.
The murderer has been identified but is still loose.
I dislike the fact that information was obtained by sensory deprivation which has to count as mental torture - if the victim did not suffer, then he would not be induced to answer questions against his will.
Is that all? I thought that I might find more to say.
I will report back on Chapters 19-20, probably some time tomorrow when we might walk to Morecambe for a brass band concert in a park. 

5 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I'm surprised you did not enjoy deductive reasoning or its use in solving a mystery. I would have thought a philosopher like you would like deductive reasoning.

I would restrict the legitimate use of sensory deprivation as an interrogation method only for the most urgent, time pressed cases, such as Clanmaster Temulak in WE CLAIM THESE STARS.

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
Of course I enjoy deductive reasoning but it can be trivialized when applied to, e.g.,: "Did the suspect have time to drive past my house and notice that I was home?" etc.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

But that's how deductive reasoning WOULD be used in solving a mystery. And is thus legitimate in that genre.

Sean

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Almost finished writing my essay about Poul Anderson's "Night Piece." I think it still needs some work, but I hope to send it to you soon.

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
Of course but I don't always find it interesting.
Paul.