Thursday 9 April 2015

Fifty Years Ago

Did I say this before? (I think I did.) I read Poul Anderson's first Gunnar Heim story, "Marque and Reprisal," when it was first published in The Magazine Of Fantasy And Science Fiction in 1965. Little did I know that, fifty years later, I would discuss this story and its sequels on a worldwide computer network.

But I did imagine a worldwide computer network, not laptops but many large computers permanently linked to form something called the Central Computer or Cencom. I do not remember whether I got this terminology from an sf story or invented it but the idea of linking computers was around. We are living in one sf future, not the one we imagined with routine space travel but nevertheless an sf future. And maybe something is starting to happen in space rather belatedly despite Branson's problems?

Discussing Poul Anderson's works never ends. NESFA Vol 3 is in the post.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Wish I could claim I was speculating about world wide computer networks when I first started reading science fiction around 1968. Alas, I wasn't! I do recall the frist Anderson story I read was the original version of "Tiger by the Tail" in AGENT OF THE TERRAN EMPIRE That book made a deep impression on me! And it was in ENSIGN FLANDRY that I first knowingly came across such concepts as cloning lost limbs and organs (altho the word "cloning" was not used) and air cars.

And, of course, it was around that year that I read books like TIME AND MR BASS (and some of the other Mr. Bass books, whose author I don't recall). This was SF meant for younger readers. And of course the works Heinlein and Asimov.

Sean