Thursday 12 March 2015

Brief Posts

Why do I not read a novel from cover to cover, then post a lengthy review of it? I find it easier, more enjoyable and I think more comprehensive to post as I read. Posts can be any length, can focus on any aspect of a text, even a single comma, and can follow interesting digressions wherever they lead. In the case of SM Stirling's The Peshawar Lancers, we have considered:

vocabulary, grammar and literary style;
parallels with Kipling;
comparisons with Poul Anderson's Time Patrol series and Technic History;
social complexities;
issues of artificial intelligence, war and racism;
Stirling's clever incorporation of real people into his alternative history;
Indian contributions to civilization, including food and religion;
Bradshaw's Guides;
the concluding quotation from a poem by James Elroy Flecker;
what my family was doing at the same time in Lancaster.

Thus, I feel that regular posting covers details that might otherwise remain unnoticed and also captures the flow of life in a way that less frequent, more carefully constructed posts would miss. Right now, birds are singing and I need some breakfast. I have other things to do today so there might be less posts.

No comments: