Tuesday 22 January 2013

Hell


In Poul Anderson's Mother Of Kings (New York, 2003), the English priest, Aelfgar, nags Queen Gunnhild about how many holy days of obligation she has missed and terrifies his congregation with sin, souls, the Pit and fire. I recognise this from my upbringing and am so glad that I did not pass it on to my daughter. She and her daughter are free of all that. Such indoctrination could only have harmed them. I know them and I also know those doctrines from the inside out so I think that I know what was best for my daughter's upbringing. As part of her religious education, I gave her a Bible and a Life of the Buddha.

Back to the novel: sufficiently terrified, Gunnhild's accomplice and partner in crime wants to confess his sins to the priest but she forbids him to do so just yet. She believes that the priest, while of course remaining professionally discrete about any sins confessed to him by Gunnhild's servant, would nevertheless call her in about her part in those sins and, if she remained unrepentant, refusing some suitable penance like a long pilgrimage, might write to the bishop, getting her banned by the Church, with major political implications.

I do not think so. My understanding of the Seal of Confession is that, whatever the servant divulged to Aelfagar, the latter would be obliged not to mention it to anyone else, not to Gunnhild, not to the bishop. Aelfgar's dealings with Gunnhild would have to continue as if he had not heard anything about her in her servant's confession. So I understand.

I was brought up to believe that the Seal of Confession was an absolute confidentiality that had never been broken and never could be but I do not know the history of the subject. Googling might reveal something. Has the Seal ever been broken? Were there times when it was not applied as strictly as I have always understood that it was? I need to turn in for an early start tomorrow so I leave blog viewers with those questions to ponder.

7 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Paul!

As regards the seal of confession, the law of the Church absolutely forbids any priest to ever reveal what was told to him. No exceptions, no excuses. To do so incurs an automatic and immediate excommunication for the guilty priest. An excommunication "reserved" to the Pope. That is, only he could remove the excommunication (altho, even in these cases, a guilty priest who was dying is allowed to confess and received absolution from another priest). So, you are basically correct.

There have been priests who chose to die rather than betray what was told to them in confession.

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

That is roughly what I thought. Didn't know the "reserved" clause but it makes sense. So that means Gunnhild is wrong to think that Aelfgar could have tackled her about anything he heard in confession from her faithful retainer, let alone written to the bishop about it? By saying, eg, "you got Kisping to help you to practise magic," he would be disclosing to her what Kisping had said to him under the seal of Confession. So has PA got it wrong that that could happen? Or is Gunnhild right that it could have happened back then? Are there recorded cases of the seal of Confession being broken? I will google this shortly.

Paul Shackley said...

Googled briefly. Didn't find any reference to the seal being broken.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Paul!

I too would need to do some research for particular cases. But, simple logic is enough. That is, given our flawed, fallen, imperfect human nature, it follows there have been priests who broke the seal of confession. Otherwise canon law would not have needed to lay down such harsh penalties.

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

I was brought up to believe that it almost could not happen, a bit like the Pope not being able to teach error on faith or morals when speaking ex cathedra, but not quite.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Paul!

Sadly, that was a naive and mistaken attitude. Human nature being what it, we will all fall and slip sometimes. Including men in Holy Orders.

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

Yes, I am not sure how much of it was implied in what was said to us and how much was my assumption.