Friday 22 December 2017

Ways

SM Stirling's Empress of Japan says that her people follow the Way of the Gods and honor the Way of the Buddha. An admirable arrangement.

In Buddhist mythology, gods rise and fall while the Buddha Dharma endures. In reality, I suggest, religions change while the issues addressed by meditation remain.

Poul and Karen Anderson's last King of Ys lives through a major transition when the Olympians, the Ysan Triad and his own former deity, Mithras, withdraw before the new God of the Piscean Age.

Poul Anderson's time travelers and immortals see gods come and go. The oldest immortal, Hanno, expediently converts to Christianity, then outlives that religion.

Meditational and science fictional perspectives converge:

"Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
"A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream,
"A child's laugh, a phantasm, a dream." (See here.)

6 comments:

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Kaor, Paul!

I don't think Hanno outlives Christianity. Even in the last part of THE BOAT OF A MILLION YEARS we see mention of Christians. In fact, I strongly suspect, to continue being Andersonian, that Christianity exists even in Danellian times, a million years from now.

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Kaor, Paul!

I've been wondering, should I change from using Google for writing comments here and try another "profile," like LiveJournal, WordPress, or TypePad, etc.?

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
I am forwarding comment notifications to Ketlan who will have a much better idea of what to do. Try anything that might work. Is AOL the best for email? I took Ketlan's laptop to him but forgot to take his mouse which he needs so I will have to take that tomorrow.
Paul.

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Kaor, Paul!

Many thanks for the patience and assistance given me by both you and Ketlan! I'm not sure if I should try to do anything drastic because I'm leaving for the airport early tomorrow morning. Might be better to wait till I come back on January 6.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
Of course. I mentioned AOL because Ketlan seemed to think that maybe it is a bit outmoded but also maybe it is not directly related to current communication problem in any case? I am very far from being the expert here.
Paul.

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!