Wednesday 5 July 2017

The Ultimates 8 Page Spread

Mark Miller & Bryan Hitch, The Ultimates 2, Vol 2 (New York, 2007).

Blog readers might understand that, although I enjoy wars of the gods in Greek and Norse myths and in modern novels by Poul Anderson and SM Stirling, I sometimes want to see such wars either on screen or in static but sequential art. The above spread shows, among many other figures, Captain America, Thor and, in the background, hostile beings that should never have attacked Midgard until the Ragnarok. In the middle of the night, I withdraw from prose to graphics. I hope that others share my appreciation of the art.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I think I understand your liking for graphics, from time to time. Some people need IMAGES to better understand something, not just texts, whether prose or poetry?

I'm more inclined to favor "texts" myself, but I have no objection to graphics. And the closest we see to that in the works of Poul Anderson was the lavishly illustrated Ace Books edition of A STONE IN HEAVEN.

Correction, Anderson/Broxon's THE DEMON OF SCATTERY was also copiously illustrated. And so were the Hoka stories written by Anderson/Dickson.

Sean