Saturday 29 July 2017

Hearing

Poul Anderson's "Star of the Sea" ends with a prayer to the Virgin Mary. See here. Prayer is not only speaking but also hearing:

"I must listen for the voice of the saint or the Imacculata with calm or I won't hear it."
-SM Stirling, The Tears Of The Sun (New York, 2011), Chapter Ten, p. 306.

In zazen meditation, instead of thinking about a problem, we sit with whatever comes up and thus learn what is important. We listen calmly even to inner turmoil. In this one sentence of Stirling's novel, I find an overlap between prayer and meditation.

3 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

And Mathilda was right! Prayer, for a Catholic, should include not only TEXTS like the Pater Noster, Ave Maria, the Creed, etc., but also silent attention to God and quietness of mind.

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
This was Yseult but her point is valid.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Oops! My mistake. And I agree with the lady. I'm only starting to reread THE PROTECTOR'S WAR. A long way to go!

Sean