Thursday 23 May 2013

More On Van Rijn

Poul Anderson revised "Margin of Profit" for The Earth Book Of Stormgate and the revised version was reprinted in The Van Rijn Method. However, I have the original version in Un-Man and other novellas so I will read it for the first time for comparison. Hank Davis, compiler of The Technic Civilization Saga of which The Van Rijn Method is Volume I, wrote that the revision intensified van Rijn's characterization and fitted the story more consistently into the Technic History so I will look out for any inconsistencies.

Also, although I have reread "Territory," the second story in the van Rijn collection Trader To The Stars relatively recently, I have again forgotten almost all the details. Van Rijn and a handful of human beings, including a woman with whom he interacts, are on another planet where they have some trouble with the natives and van Rijn for once exercises some combat skills. At the end of the story, they have solved their problems but will remain stranded on that planet for a while? Or will have a long journey home? I think.

Reading these two stories is next on the agenda so these volumes will accompany us on a trip to nearby waterfalls which my family want to photograph.

No comments: