Thursday 1 September 2022

Tomb

 

A Knight Of Ghosts And Shadows, XVIII.

We have discussed what I call Flandry's "prayer" to (St.) Kossara before but there were parts that I did not quote or discuss at length:

"I didn't feel it was fitting that they mean to build you a big tomb on Founders' Hill. I wanted your ashes strewn over land and sea, into sun and wind. Then if ever I came back here I could dream every brightness was yours. But they understand, what they do, your people." (p. 577)

But do they? What is the best way to dispose of the dead? (Neil Gaiman lists every possible way in his The Sandman story, "Cerements.") I prefer cremation but, having participated in the scattering of the ashes of a family member, I do not know what is best - except that burial does not seem like a good use of the land.

Flandry continues:

"It's I who am the sentimental old fool. Would you laugh if you could know?" (ibid.)

Self-deprecation seems strangely appropriate in such circumstances. Humility is certainly appropriate. It is then that Flandry states that Kossara had believed that she would know, asks her to help him believe that she still is and receives no answer but:

"...the priest's voice rising and falling through archaic words." (ibid.)

For many, that is sufficient answer.

Strangely again, Flandry apologises to  Kossara - then says goodbye. Next, he will deal with Aycharaych.

No comments: