Friday 17 May 2013

Rise And Decline Of The Polesotechnic League

Poul Anderson wants us to know two things about the Polesotechnic League: first, that it began with great dynamism and promise; secondly, that it declined because of cartels. He conveys both these points very well.

The introductory passage of Trader To The Stars (St Albans, Herts, 1975) begins:

"'The world's great age begins anew...'" (p. 7)

and ends:

"We do not know where we are going. Nor do most of us care. For us it is enough that we are on our way." (p. 7)

The beginning of the decline is indicated in the Earthbook Of Stormgate introduction to "Esau":

"The following tale is here because it shows a little more of the philosophy and practice which once animated the Polesotechnic League. Grip well: already these were becoming somewhat archaic, if not obsolete." (The Van Rijn Method, New York, 2009, p. 517)

According to Sandra Miesel's Chronology of Technic Civilization, the actions of five stories overlap in the 2420's. The stories, listed in this order, are:

"A Sun Invisible";
"The Season of Forgiveness";
The Man Who Counts;
"Esau";
"Hiding Place," the opening story of Trader To The Stars. (ibid., p. 613).

Thus, reading the stories in this order, we are informed that early League practice is becoming obsolete just before we are informed that, "The world's great age begins anew..." The second point, the League's decline, is superimposed over the first point, its early promise. This is not a great obstacle. The introduction to Trader To The Stars is a quotation from "Le Matelot." We may assume that this was written at the beginning of the age and some time before the events described in the stories. According to the Chronology, the League was founded in the twenty third century.

13 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Paul!

Just to be contrary, don't forget how I found serious inconsistencies in Sandra Miesel's proposed chronology of Technic Civilization and suggested revisions. For example, I proposed dating Nicholas van Rijn's birth to AD 2024 instead of 2376. I argued that my revision of Miesel's chronology better fitted the evidence found in the stories.

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

2024?

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Paul!

Oops!!! My mistake! I meant I argued that Nicholas van Rijn was born in 2424, not 2024. (Smiles) See my essay dated April 26, 2012.

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

Sean, I have reread your article and my own previous posts on chronology but I am still not sure where you get your year for van Rijn's birth from?

If the Council of Hiawatha occurred in 2400 and if van Rijn discussed it a century later at the age of 80 (you quote this as his age at the time so it must be in the text?), then he would have been born in 2420 (maybe)?

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Paul!

I got my date for van Rijn's birth from him being described as 80 years old in MIRKHEIM, with the book saying it was a century or more since the Polesotechnic League's Council of Hiawatha. Sandra Miesel, to by my bafflement has Old Nick being born 24 yeards before the Council, which made no sense. Plus, MIRKHEIM has the events occurring in "Lodestar" taking place 18 years before the latter work. Miesel's date contradicts that.

Yes, either 2420 or 2424 would seem to fit as van Rijn's birth date. Which means I would have to push back the dates I proposed by four years. I think I picked 2424 as van Rijn's birth date to avoid pushing events too close together. I'll have to rethink that point.

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

Thanks. I agree the Chronology is clearly wrong on some points.

At present, I have got interested again in the structure of the History and in the various different perspectives presented by the fictitious Introductions. Hank Davis' contribution is really clever.

Today, we attend a Pagan "hand fast" (wedding) in medieval costume.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Paul!

Thanks! And I wish I could find a means of bringing my suggested revision of her Chronology to Miesel's attention.

I remember how pleased I was to finally be able to read "Sargasso" in RISE OF THE TERRAN EMPIRE. Yes, it definitely contradicts what stories set later in the Technic series says. Will be rereading what Hank Davis says.

Ummmm, the Medievals were Christians, mostly Catholic in medieval times. Not pagans! If you want "pagan" dress, you would do better to use first or second century AD Romano/Greek clothing styles. (Smiles)

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

I knew you would say that about the Medieval period but my friends in the Morecambe Circle of Pagans are not all very historical! We were asked to pronounce a blessing while sipping wine from a chalice so I said, "Tene Mithra, etiam miles, fidos nostris votis nos." It was a mixed faith hand fast so Jesus was invoked among other deities.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Paul!

Very interesting, the prayer you used invoking Mithras. Reminds me both of Kipling's poem and Poul Anderson's THE KING OF YS.

Mixed faith wedding? Was the husband or wife a Catholic or Anglican?

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

Wife is unspecified Christian but has her own take on it, to say the least. Her upbringing was Evangelical.

Paul Shackley said...

Of course, Anderson was my source for the prayer.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Paul!

Got it, re the mixed faith wedding. Are "evangelical" Protestsnts in the UK low church Anglicans, Methodists, or Baptists?

Good to know I was right about the source of prayer you used!

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

Evangelicals can be in any of the churches you mentioned plus less known ones. I worked with a woman who was and still is in a "Christians Alive" group, an offshoot of Methodism. And there is the Salvation Army, of course.