To Promote the General Welfare.
Commissioner of Astronautics Svoboda had arranged for his own son, Jan, and a fleetful of others, including Theron Wolfe, to emigrate to the extra-solar planet, Rustum.On Rustum, Wolfe becomes the first mayor of Anchor.
Decades later, the Rustumite Constitutional Convention meets in Wolfe Hall in Anchor.
When a second fleet of emigrants/immigrants approaches from Earth, the chief of interstellar communications on Rustum is Theron Svoboda.
We have lost count of the number of generations of Svobodas.
OK. That was just another slab of future historical continuity before your blogger goes out to an evening meeting in a community centre in Lancaster.
(The attached image is from a different timeline than the one in Poul Anderson's New America.)
5 comments:
Kaor, Paul!
Just to be playful "Wolfe Hall" made me think of ""Wolfe's lair."
I also thought of the wolves who raised Mowgli in Kipling's first JUNGLE BOOK.
And there's the Nero Wolfe who was the hero of Rex Stout's mysteries. Which really dates me!
Anderson created the werewolf Steve Matuchek for his OPERATION stories.
The Ardazirho were the "wolfish" aliens we see in Anderson's HUNTERS OF THE SKY CAVE.
Ad astra! Sean
It's no coincidence that wolves were the first domesticated species. We're chimps who imitated wolves, come to that.
Kaor, Mr. Stirling!
Well, our chimpish ancestors had to already be plenty bellicose to survive 2 million or more years ago, but I can see that resemblance to wolves.
And wolves/dogs are the animals who try to imitate us!
I was touched by your dedication in ROME TO THE STARS. Besides Mrs. Stirling and a friend, you dedicated the book to your "furry son," Finnigan Mac. I'm glad he was your devoted friend, consolation, companion.
Ad astra! Sean
That was the other author. Though I have two cats, Annilise and Periwinkle, and they are very dear to me.
Kaor, Mr. Stirling!
Oops! I completely misunderstood; I thought your "furry son" was a dog.
It was in John Wright's blog, in a combox where we were talking about SF, that I found out the "Dan" in that dedication was Dan Simmons, at least five of whose books I have read, died this past February. Memory eternal!
Just a bit chagrined! Sean
Post a Comment