SM Stirling's Draka are an evil empire in an alternative twentieth century. (They are "evil" in my judgement and in that of some other readers. The author will remind us of the view that all such judgements are subjective.)
The Antonine Roman Empire in Stirling's Make The Darkness Light series is a benign empire in an alternative second century. Thus, the Antonines present a formidable antithesis to the Draka.
Poul Anderson's Terran Empire is just another empire in a fictional future. It is perceived as benign or oppressive depending on the viewpoint of any particular character. Certainly, "The Game of Glory" shows the intelligence officer, Dominic Flandry, routinely participating in the conquest and oppression of the sovereign planet, Brae.
The arrival of two books interrupted our (editorially speaking) rereading of Tim Powers' The Anubis Gates. Again, the two time travel options: the past can be changed in Make The Darkness Light but not in The Anubis Gates. Poul Anderson is distinguished by the facts that he (i) addressed both options and (ii) addressed both well.
6 comments:
The merit of empires is that they unite many sovereignties and ensure peace between them. That doesn't mean they're all good, but it is a positive point. Nations (and tribes and clans) fight.
Kaor, Paul and Mr. Stirling!
Paul: I never had any patience for nonsense about a "first mature civilization,"
whatever that is.
Mr. Stirling: Exactly, empire building ISHBD and I don't expect that to ever change. What really matters is whether the "empire," under whatever name it uses is believed to be legitimate and is NTTB. Earth will most likely be someday by a de facto empire, even if it calls itself the United Commonwealths or a World Federation.
Ad astra! Sean
Well, as Max Weber, the great pioneering sociologist said, the ultimately decisive means of political action is always violence.
BTW, I agree that the Draka empire is evil. That's my subjective opinion... 8-).
Agreed.
(James Crossley attended a theological conference where someone present accused someone else present of plagiarizing James Crossley - or something like that. (I wasn't there myself, of course.) Right at the end, James stood up and said, "I'm James Crossley and I agree with everything that's been said here," and sat down.)
Kaor, Mr. Stirling!
Absolutely, what Max Weber said! Dreamy types who talk of everybody someday being nicey-nice are, gently put, naive.
Again, absolutely, what you said about the Draka and their Domination. I also believe some subjective opinions can be objectively true. One reason I admire your Draka books is because of how convincingly you gave us villains who were SMART and competent, unlike the brutal Communist and Nazi bunglers. Bunglers who let their ideologies get in the way of what WORKS.
You were also able to show many Draka as fully rounded characters, not mere cardboard cliches. Some of them were even fairly decent persons aware of how questionable their society was. Mention was made of how a few Draka followed the logic of their doubts and defected to the Alliance--albeit some must have thought they were joining the losing side.
Ad astra! Sean
Post a Comment