Tuesday 18 June 2019

Your Will

The People Of The Wind, XV.

Philippe Rochefort must choose between keeping his word to Tabitha Falkayn and doing what he thinks is right. He prays:

"- O all you saints, St. Joan who burned for her people, help me!" (p. 610)

"Father, show me Your will." (p. 611)

Rochefort is a Jerusalem Catholic. (Scroll down.)

Human children become self-conscious individuals, persons, by interacting linguistically with other human beings.

Jews, Christians and other theists believe that all human life is a dialogue with a transcendent person - or persons, just to complicate matters. Some of us think that this belief is a projection of social interactions onto natural and (hypothetical) supernatural interactions but theistic language is strongly embedded. I spontaneously think, "Lord!" when I contemplate my own wrong actions and their consequences.

"'I may be addressing it to nothing but a sort of cosmic Dead Letter Office, but that can't be helped. The message itself is plain. It has got to read:
"'To Whom it may concern: Thy will, not mine.'"
-James Blish, The Quincunx Of Time (New York, 1983), CHAPTER TEN, p. 104.

I endorse this agnostic prayer to:

Whatever gods may be
-copied from here.

(For any readers of this blog who may be interested, analysis of Dornford Yates' novels continues here.)

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I was BEMUSED to find a statue of that Catholic saint, Joan of Arc, in what is now the Anglican cathedral of Winchester, England! I thought it odd to find an image of a saint who rallied France in its hour of despair in what is now an English Protestant church.

Sean