Thursday 18 May 2017

Reading Murder In Black Letter

I have read Poul Anderson's Murder In Black Letter as far as the beginning of Chapter 6 and so far the point of view character has remained Trygve Yamamura's friend, Robert Kintyre, not Yamamura himself, who has remained off-stage since the opening conversation between him and Kintyre. OK. No hurry. Not being a big fan of detective fiction, I will continue to read the novel but without any great involvement in its plot.

For me, the big three fictional detectives are Sherlock Holmes, Inspector Montalbano and Trygve Yamamura. Yamamura is of interest because he is written by Poul Anderson. Also, of course, Anderson managed to give this character an interesting background and a colourful setting. I will not solve the mystery before we are told the solution. How many readers of detective fiction are able to do this?

How many interesting series characters did Anderson write? How many interesting central characters of single novels did he write? Quite a lot.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I realize the mystery is not your special favorite, altho you like some mysteries, such as those featuring Sherlock Holmes and Inspector Montalbano. But do you have any opinions about GK Chesterton's Fr. Brown, Dorothy L. Sayers' Lord Peter Wimsey, Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe, Agatha Christie's Miss Marple, or John Dickson Carr's very Chestertonian Gideon Fell? I read many of these stories as a younker.

Series characters created by Poul Anderson? Let me list some: Trygve Yamamura, Manse Everard, Nicholas van Rijn, Dominic Flandry, Anson Guthrie, and Wing Alak. And Alexander Jones, Plenipotentiary of the Interbeing League to Toka!

Have reached ten paragraphs on my essay about "Night Piece." But I now need to do some checking up on Franz Kafka, and I don't want to use Wikipedia for that. Which means I will have to go to the local library to look up Kafka in reputable reference works like the NEW CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA or the BRITANNICA.

Sean