Saturday 11 March 2017

Two Alternative Histories

A Midsummer Tempest by Poul Anderson
Part of the Old Phoenix sequence.
17th century.
Fantasy: Auberon exists and Prospero's magic works.
Alternative versions of Charles I, Oliver Cromwell and (mainly) Prince Rupert of the Rhine.

The Protector's War by SM Stirling
Volume II of the Change/Emberverse series.
Early 21st century.
Sf: malign aliens (maybe) exist and technology stops working.
Alternative versions of (see below).

Queen Elizabeth II and Tony Blair die.
Prince Charles becomes King Charles III.
Princess Diana becomes Saint Diana.
Prince William remains Prince William.

"'Small loss with Blair, is what I think. I never did like the bugger's greasy great smile...'" (pp. 341-342)

Stirling captures quite a lot of British sentiment on this issue. The Blair of our timeline now wants a second referendum on EU membership.

A previous occasion when I found a remarkable parallel between a novel and the news was here.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I fully understand the sentiment about Tony Blair you quoted. His too toothy grin reminds me all too much of Barack Obama's equally irritating smile. I far prefer politicians who are not afraid to GLARE in public, as Churchill had done at times!

And I fully support those Britons who want the UK to leave and jettison the useless and oppressive EU!

Sean