Saturday 4 February 2017

Where Were We?

The blog is primarily about Poul Anderson.
This has involved comparing Anderson with many other writers.
Some posts have focused on SM Stirling as a colleague and worthy successor of Anderson.
Before Christmas, I began to read Dies The Fire. See also here.
At Christmas, I received Alan Moore's voluminous Jerusalem, which I am still reading and posting about here.
I have tried to link everything.
Multiple blogging is like juggling.
Normal service will be resumed.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I absolutely agree with this quote from the works of Poul Anderson! If a fiction writer can't ENTERTAIN his readers, hold their interest, then they won't read his stories, no matter how interesting the plot ideas might be.

A recent example of that for me was Ben Bova's novel VENUS, which I tried to read while in Hawaii not so long ago. I gave up that book after a day or two because it simply was not ENGAGING me, holding my interest, despite having interesting plot ideas about Venus.

I have enjoyed others of Bova's books, such as TRANSHUMAN. He did manage to hold my interest with that book, despite me thinking at times that his writing was too "flat" for my taste. Briefly, the story is set in the near future and focuses on how telomerase inhibitors and accelerators might cure cancer and extend human lifespans.

Sean