Friday 24 January 2014

Star Prince Charlie

An Interim Report

I am reading this book for the first time. However, unusually for a work by Anderson, I cannot think of much to write about it yet. I would have preferred a historical novel by Anderson about the Jacobite Rebellion rather than yet another Hoka historical reenactment!

Before our young Charlie Stuart can be accepted as a military leader on the planet of New Lemuria, he must pass five tests prescribed by local legend and it remains to be seen how he will pass even the first although, since the novel is a comedy and since there might be a powerful vested interest on his side, we should not be surprised to read about a series of implausible events.

I will read this work to its conclusion although not with a great deal of enthusiasm as yet.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Paul!

I'm sorry if STAR PRINCE CHARLIE, by Anderson and Dickson, does not quite please you. Yes, I do realize this is at least in part due to different readers having some what different tastes. My view is that there is room for comedy and humor in science fiction, that SF does not have to always be sternly serious.

I could also argue that STAR PRINCE CHARLIE does examine serious ideas about society and the state even under the guise of humor. And I think the ending of the book will please you.

Sean