Sunday 26 January 2014

If Ever I Forget Thee...

This may be the last post of this month. I like to work in round numbers and 30 is a respectable number for a 31 day month. Page views increase when posts increase but I can't increase them all the time!

I have just attended an Inter-Faith Holocaust Memorial Day Service at Lancaster Priory Church, where the choir sang from Psalm 137, "If I forget thee, O Jerusalem..."

As always happens, I cannot put my hand on Poul Anderson's After Doomsday when I want to refer to it. However, in that novel, all life on Earth has recently been destroyed, the only human survivors being the crews of two exploratory interstellar spaceships. The leader of the American crew is not Jewish or specifically religious but, when the memory of what has been lost hits him, he expresses that loss with the heartfelt cry, "If ever I forget thee, O Jerusalem..."

And that seems an appropriate place to finish for this month.

No comments: