Friday 26 February 2021

"Door To Anywhere"

Poul Anderson, "Door to Anywhere" IN Rick Katze (Ed.), Door To Anywhere, pp. 11-34.

This story incorporates the kind of cosmological background information that I usually find interesting although I do not want to try to summarize it right now. Maybe later when the dust has settled. The story was originally published in Galaxy Science Fiction, December 1966, when Fred Hoyle's steady state universe theory was still on the table. Of course, Anderson the sf writer utilizes a fictional extension of the theory to rationalize instantaneous interstellar teleportation, somehow.

However, the following sentence is worthy of note:

"His face might have been Saul's on the road to Damascus." (p. 26)

This, of course, is yet another Biblical reference.

I have yet to finish reading the story. A man has disappeared in intergalactic space and we have yet to learn why.

3 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

That Biblical reference by Anderson can have more than one meaning. If before Saul of Tarsus met the Risen One, I would imagine the persecutor of the early Christians as looking grim and determined. After meeting Christ, I imagine Saul as looking astonished, exalted, transformed.

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,

I am sure that this reference means the exalted Saul.

Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I agree! I was trying to keep in mind both possibilities.

Ad astra! Sean