Tuesday 24 September 2013

Past And Future Posts

This is the 110th post for this month and the 700th this year. In the interests of continuing to work with round numbers, I will now refrain from posting again until 1 October at the earliest. From 4 to 14 October, I will be abroad without a laptop, probably not frequenting Internet Cafes.

Yet To Come
(i) To finish rereading the fascinating Planet Of No Return.
(ii) Anderson's first mystery novel should be in the post.
(iii)-(iv) His second and third to be acquired.
(v) The Snows Of Ganymede to be acquired.
(vi)-(viii) I have The Devil's Game and two Hoka volumes.
(ix) Multiverse, when it is published.
(x) To round up any remaining stories in the collections in my possession.
(xi) Maybe to acquire some other collections.
(xii) Maybe to reread some of the works discussed earlier.

By that stage, we might at last have crossed the summit of Mount Anderson? But it remains to be seen how it pans out.

5 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Paul!

And you still have yet to read IS THERE LIFE ON OTHER WORLDS?, THERMONUCLEAR WARFARE, and THE INFINITE VOYAGE. Albeit the last one I listed is meant more for schoolchildren.

To say, nothing of course, of uncollected and never yet reprinted short works of Anderson. Say, about 70 stories and essays.

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

Hi,
Yes, indeed. Right now, I am drafting posts for Oct. I can polish them a bit when I am not just instantly posting. Last month, page views declined in the last few days when I was not posting but then rocketed when a few went on together early the following month.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Paul!

Your recent blog pieces about THE LONG WAY HOME has made me interested in rereading that book when I've finished reading Mortimer Adler's THE ANGELS AND US, a philosophical examination of incorporeal beings other than God.

I hope you enjoy the Anderson mystery when you get it! Of the three Yamamura books, I think I liked best MURDER IN BLACK LETTER . And I'm sure you recall my comments about how one point which interested me about both those books and a later work such as THE DEVIL'S GAME was how Anderson wrote about ideas and plots set in contemporary terms.

THE SNOWS OF GANYMEDE was definitely an early work of Anderson, showing how he was learning how to write. And I like how he worked out several ingenious plot twists in that story.

I'm hoping the high number of people who drop by this blog means some of them will look up the works of Poul Anderson. Most of them can be fairly easily acquired online at reasonable prices. AND that more visitors will leave their own remarks in the combox!

Hope you enjoy your trip out side the UK!

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

Sean,
Unlike many analytic philosophers, I think that incorporeal beings are at least logically possible but no more than that. And, by definition, they would be undetectable.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Paul!

That is exactly what Mortimer Adler is saying in his book: logically possible. But he is not as sure as you are that angels are not real. And, yes, incorporeal beings would logically be undetectable by our physical senses and instruments.

Adler is a person to be taken seriously. A trained Aristotelian and Scholastic philosopher. Besides his book about the angels, I have another of his works: THE DIFFERENCE OF MAN AND THE DIFFERENCE IT MAKES.

Sean