Tuesday 30 July 2019

The Spirit And A Druze

"... but man, proud man, Drest in a little brief authority, Most ignorant of what he's most assured, His glassy essence, like an angry ape, Plays such fantastic tricks before high heaven As make the angels weep;
-copied from here.

I compare that passage with this one:

"'Holy Avatars of the Spirit...'
"Raj forced himself not to wince; technically that term included him, now. I am not worthy! something cried within himself."
-The Forge, CHAPTER EIGHT, p. 121.

In accordance with his received religious beliefs, SM Stirling's and David Drake's character, Raj Whitehall, believes that he has become an Avatar, indwelt by the Spirit, because he is now in mental contact with a self-conscious strategic computer which he can only understand to be an angel of the Spirit. However, each of us is in fact indwelt by God/the Spirit/the cosmos/our glassy essence/potential Buddhahood/Brahman-Atman etc and none is individually worthy.

Raj's wife converses with a Druze and I knew nothing about them until I googled here.

I am signing off for this month. CHAPTER EIGHT contains some violence which I prefer to skip past!

8 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I'm a bit surprised you've not heard of the Druzes before! They are fairly prominent and numerous in both Israel and Lebanon, after all. And regarded as heretical by both Sunnis and Shias.

As for the violence in Chapter Eight, my view is that since fictional violence is not real, and no real people gets hurt, it should not bother you or me.

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
I have heard of the Druzes but did not know anything about them.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Nor I. Except for how they are regarded with hostility by Sunnis and Shias.

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
They have a very interesting approach, incorporating several scriptures and philosophies.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Which reminds me of how the Bahais, another sect regarded with ESP. fierce hostility by Muslims, have similar ideas.

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
The Druze sound more interesting and substantial.
Paul.

S.M. Stirling said...

Paul: well, the Druze are -older- than the Bahai.

Sean: one of the aims of fiction is to make you care about the characters -- the violence -should- be disturbing!

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Mr. Stirling!

You made a good point. The gruesome violence I've seen in some of your works had me thinking a certain detachment would be one way of reacting to that violence. But you want readers to EMPATHIZE for the victims of your villains or the casualties of war. I will keep that in mind.

Sean