Friday 25 August 2017

Patrons Of Rulers

"...a triptych of the Madonna and Child flanked by Saints Edgar and Olaf, the patrons of rulers."
-SM Stirling, The Given Sacrifice (New York, 2014), Chapter Five, p. 95.

Thus, a character in a historical novel by Poul Anderson (see here) is referenced in an alternative history novel by SM Stirling. I did not know that either Olaf or Edgar was regarded as a patron of rulers and, indeed, since The Given Sacrifice is not only fiction but also alternative history fiction, I ought to check whether they are also patrons of rulers on Earth Real.

5 comments:

David Birr said...

Paul:
I notice that the motto on that seal you show was used as a battle cry by Nicholas van Rijn in *The Man Who Counts*, although he tacked on "Kongsmenn" to finish it up. (Chapter XVIII)

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

David,
Far out. What does it mean?
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I looked up the motto of St. Olaf's College, which is in the US state of Minnesota. It's in modern Norse and came from St. Olaf of Norway's battle cry: "Forward, forward! Men of Christ, men of the Cross!"

Poul Anderson mentioned this college to me in one of his letters to me where he discussed the idea for a humorous SF story about St. Olaf of Norway which he never got around to writing.

Sean

David Birr said...

Paul and Sean:
And "Kongsmenn" would then be "Men of the King," which fits because St. Olaf was KING Olaf II Haraldsson.

Incidentally, and as I mentioned once before on this site, Old Nick followed this battle cry by invoking Heineken Beer.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, DAVID!

True, what you said about "kongsmenn." I'll be looking up Chapter XVIII of THE MAN WHO COUNTS when I have more time.

I'll have to try Heineken Beer if Old Nick liked it! (Smiles)

Sean