Tuesday 1 September 2015

Jeeves Again

I am learning a great deal by rereading and posting about Poul Anderson's The Shield Of Time. I have asked questions and found the answers in the text, have clarified which passages I think are philosophically problematic and will probably continue to reread the Time Patrol novel in this way.

Meanwhile, Sheila has bought a copy of Aunts Aren't Gentlemen, a Jeeves-Wooster book that I had not read before. For previous blog remarks on Wodehouse, see here. I will probably read Aunts... to its conclusion rather than just sampling the opening chapters.

All of this is relevant to Poul Anderson Appreciation because surely Dominic Flandry's extra-terrestrial servant, Chives, is an sf version of Jeeves - or so I have always assumed. I do not expect to post much more about Wodehouse here, although you never know, but blog readers may expect to read more about Anderson's Time Patrol (which prevents divergent timelines) and also about SM Stirling's Draka (who inhabit one).

Service to the State (I don't think).

5 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I have read a few of Wodehouse's Jeeves/Wooster books, so I can see why you thought Jeeves reminds you of Dominic Flandry's butler/valet/chef/pilot/Intelligence agent Chives, from the planet Shalmu. I suggest however, that a better analogy from literature is with Mr. Bunter, Lord Peter Wimsey's butler/valet/fellow detective. Besides their many talents both Chives and Bunter shared a quiet, understated LETHALITY which Jeeves simply doesn't have. When it was necessary, Chives was more than capable of killing enemies of the Empire and Mr. Bunter was a former sergeant and combat veteran of the British Army in WW I.

And "Service to the State"? All readers of S.M. Stirling's Draka books are far too familiar with that Draka ritual. Draka A says: "Service to the State." Draka B responds: "Glory to the Race." Like you, I would NOT in the least wish to serve the Domination!

I far prefer the "Glory to the Emperor!" used by the military personnel of the Terran Empire. Whether bad or good men, at least the Emperors were HUMAN and did not claim to be supermen!

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

Sean,
I am less familiar with Wimsey and Bunter. I think that Chives' name and mode of speech suggest Jeeves but the lethality sounds like Bunter so maybe Chives is a composite.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

At one time I was a big fan of Dorothy L. Sayers' Lord Peter Wimsey mystery stories. So, it was natural of me to think of Bunter, instead of Jeeves, when looking for analogies of Chives. And Chives mode of speaking definitely reminded me of Bunter. I think it's possible Poul Anderson may have read some of the Wimsey mysteries and was influenced by Bunter in shaping Chives character.

Sean

David Birr said...

I always figured Chives' name was at least in part inspired by Jeeves -- and, of course, he's GREEN like chives -- and the personality has resemblances although he's not serving a (near-total) idiot like Bertie. Bunter hadn't occurred to me as a source of his character, but it makes sense now that I'm prodded.

Come to think of it, Sir Terry Pratchett's character Willikins, butler to His Grace the Duke of Ankh (a.k.a. Mister Vimes, Commander of the City Watch), may be based to some degree on Bunter, too. He's a most polished butler, who turns out to have grown up in a rough neighborhood (like Mister Vimes) and is still, in his forties or fifties, quite ruthless and deadly if need be.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, David!

Thanks for your comments. I hadn't thought of that, that Chives was given that name or nickname because of the color of his skin. But it makes sense.

Alas, I've not read the books of Sir Terry you mentioned, but Willikins, from your description, reminds me of Chives and Mr. Bunter, both of whom were, as you said, admirably polished and efficient butlers. AND, like Willikins, quite deadly when they had to be.

Sean