Monday 6 April 2015

New Connections

To anyone who may be interested in the Kipling connection, new correspondent, David Birr, has disclosed the source of Poul Anderson's title, "No Truce With Kings" (see Comment here).

And to anyone interested either in the Wells connection or in humorous sf&fantasy, David has drawn attention to a humorous story by Wells (see Comment here).

Thank you, David.

I had not known of the Kipling poem and had not remembered the Wells story so it is helpful to have these works drawn to our attention. There is bound to be more out there that other blog readers know about?

3 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

To Mr. Birr:

I'm very pleased a new commentator has dropped by! I hope to see more of your remarks. And, possibly, even a guest essay or two!

Were you already familiar with Poul Anderson and his works before finding this blog? Or did Paul's notes inspire you to look up some of Anderson's books?

Sean M. Brooks

David Birr said...

I first read "No Truce With Kings" -- as well as others in the collection *Time and Stars* -- when I was in my mid-teens, forty-some years ago. Shortly after I read *Ensign Flandry* and the later Flandry stories, and then LOTS of other Anderson: van Rijn/Falkayn, Time Patrol, *Operation Chaos*, etc, etc.

So, short version, yes, I've been an Anderson reader for decades.

What brought me to this blog was trying to refresh my memory on some details about Merseians, and I thought I'd cheat by seeing if anyone had already gathered all the facts I sought, rather than doing it the fun but time-consuming way, going through the books again to find those specific details. The blog was quite helpful -- although time-consuming in its own way because there's so much MORE here....

Sean M. Brooks said...

Dear Mr. Birr,

Many thanks for your reply and reminiscences. Much appreciated!

Needless to say I'm glad you are a fan of Poul Anderson. What were some of these details about the Merseians you wished to recall? And did you find what you needed in any of Paul's notes? And, besides Paul's incredible productivity as a commentator, I'm vain enough to hope you noticed my own guest essays. Were any of my notes of any special interest to you?

Sean