Wednesday 1 August 2018

Descartes

Looks supercilious?

We have discussed philosophers, including Descartes. See Philosophy And SF here. However, I am at a loss for the meaning of the following passage. Joelle the holothete thinks:

"I dare not admit Descartes (as a maker of symbols which have no more scientific meaning left in them than does the Day of Judgment) was wrong."
-Poul Anderson, The Avatar, XXXIII, p. 286.

Joelle did make at least one earlier reference to Descartes. Maybe, if I find and reread that, then it will shed some light on this? Although I am immersed in the text, it remains a vast unknown realm.

Looking for the earlier Descartes reference, I am reminded that the linker, Eric, quotes from the Rubaiyat (scroll down):

"Why, if the Soul can fling the Dust aside..." (XXIII, p. 203)

I should have referred to that earlier. We might some time pull together all the Rubaiyat quotations and references.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I'm not sure this portrait of Descartes can fairly be said to make him look supercilious. What I thought was Descartes looked grave, serious, restrained.

Sean